A few times a term the Ustinov puts on formal dinners. These are three course meals where you sit with your friends, dress up, and have a good old knees up. They are usually based on a theme, and are usually followed by a party in the Sheraton bar or an external location. Past Formal themes include Bonfire Night, Christmas, Burns Night, and Halloween. They really are a fantastic part of the collegiate experience, and GCR members get subsidised tickets.
Format: Depending on the formal, the format is usually as follows. People are seated, then then there are a couple of speeches. Food is then served and there may be some inter-course entertainment. After the dinner is finished (usually about 9.30pm), there is usually a party, either in the Sheraton bar or at an external location.
Formals in the 2021-2022 academic year*:
- Wednesday September 29th – Induction Formal
- Friday November 5th – Bonfire Night Formal
- Friday December 10th – Christmas Formal
- Friday January 21st – Burns Night Formal
- Friday February 4th – Lunar Formal
- Thursday April 7th – Castle Formal (At University College)
- Friday June 3rd – Spring Formal
- Friday 17th June – Summer Ball (Ramside Hall as venue)
- Friday July 1st – College Awards Formal
*Subject to University guidelines on Social gatherings and COVID-19 government regulations.