The gym is located in Sheraton House, to your left as you enter the building. It contains various fitness equipment, including treadmills, elliptical trainers, cycles, a leg press, and numerous weights. All equipment was purchased in 2017, so it is still very new!
- 1 Treadmill
- 1 Elliptical trainer
- 1 Leg press
- 2 Cycles
- Weights area
- 1 Cable machine
- 1 rowing machine
The gym will reopen again in October, following induction week. Details about membership and rules of usage are to be circulated soon.
Rules of usage:
You can access the gym only if you have completed the health form, watched the induction video and booked a gym slot. The links for all these can be found in the step-by-step guide below.
- Use only the 8 workout spots mentioned above.
- Use the weights only on the marked floor area and don’t drop them.
- Don’t work out with bare feet.
- Wipe down all surfaces and touch points of the equipment you used after you’re finished. Wipes are in the dispensers by the door.
- Use the hand sanitiser by the gym entrance before entering
- There is no changing room so please come ready to work out
- Wear your wristband when you arrive to prove that everyone in your group is in the same household.
- The time slots are strict and anyone who doesn’t follow them they won’t be able to use the gym again. If the gym is not empty in the end of the slot it won’t be able to be ready for the next time slot.
If it gets too hot in the gym you can open the windows, but please close them before leaving. During your slot you can use more than one of the workout spots. After you’re done with something, be sure to wipe it though.
- Make sure you have read and understood the rules listed above.
- Complete the health form.
- Watch the induction video HERE.
- Choose a slot with your household members (if you’re the only one interested you can still book a slot but try to organise it with your household so we can fit more students)
- Book your slot HERE. The deadline to do so is 8pm the day before the slot. If a slot doesn’t appear in the list it means it’s already booked.
- Leave and arrive ON TIME
- Show up in the reception with your student card. There you will be asked for your student number and you will need to leave you student card to get an access card. If you live in college then EVERYONE in your group will need to wear your wristbands to show you belong to the same household. If you are living outside college you should bring a proof of residency to prove you belong in the same household. A photo of it in your phone will suffice.
- Scan the card to the reader outside the gym entrance.
- When you’re done return the card to the reception to get your student ID back.
- To exit the gym, press the green button first and then pull the door. If you don’t the door won’t open.
Due to limited slots, ONLY ONE active booking can be made. After you have attended your booked slot you can book another again. This way more people have the chance to use the gym.
Any person who wants to enter the gym needs to get a card from the reception. Nobody is allowed to enter by knocking the door or being let in by someone in the gym.
Gym Access Slots
Here you can find the exact times you can book for the gym. The 30 minute gaps between the slots are for the gym to be disinfected before the next slot. For that make sure you leave on time so that the gym can be ready for the next slot.
Monday to Friday
- 08:30 – 09:30 (Except Mondays)
- 10:30 – 11:30
- 12:30 – 13:30
- 14:30 – 16:30
- 10:00 – 11:00
- 12:00 – 13:00
- 15:00 – 16:00
- 19:00 – 21:00
The University takes Covid-19 security very seriously and any breaches of Covid-19 regulations are managed under the University’s Non-Academic Misconduct Policy.
If you have any questions concerning the gym, please feel free to email cs.ustinovgcr(at)durham.ac.uk!