Clubs and societies are an important part of the GCR community. They provide the opportunity for students with common interests to get together and participate in activities outside of their studies.
A list of all the current clubs and societies can be found here. If you would like to join a club or society, just email the contact you’ll find in the list! If you do not find what you are looking for, you can also start a new society.
To start a society, please follow the steps listed below. Please note that membership of your society must be open to all GCR members and that the purpose of all proposed clubs & societies must agree with the GCR aims and objectives. Societies require at least 5 members, of whom at least 3 must be members of the GCR (paid the GCR levy).
A Step-by-Step Guide
- Check if the club or society currently exists or has previously existed. If there was a previous club or society of the same type that has ceased to exist, there may be old equipment you can use.
- Contact the GCR Clubs and Societies Officer to discuss your idea: cs.ustinovgcr(at)durham.ac.uk
- Read the GCR Clubs and Societies Regulations.
- Find at least four other people to start the society with. At least three of the five of you need to be GCR members.
- Write a constitution. A default constitution is available here.
- Hold a meeting with your future fellow society members. At this meeting, you need to:
– Elect a president, treasurer, and secretary for the society.
– Complete a Ratification Form (download here).
- Create a member list.
- Send electronic copies of your completed ratification form, constitution, and member list to cs.ustinovgcr(at)durham.ac.uk
- Submit the physical copy of your ratification form in the GCR office (open 6-8pm every evening).
- You may be contacted by the Clubs & Societies Officer to discuss any concerns they may have or for requests for further information. They will take your proposal to the next GCR Executive Committee Meeting for approval.
- The GCR Executive Committee will vote to ratify the new society.
- Once your society has been ratified, you can apply for funding from the GCR for equipment. The Clubs & Societies Officer will contact you and explain the process to you.
If you need any help with the above, please contact cs.ustinovgcr(at)durham.ac.uk